It's negative 2 degrees outside. I know that because I got Aaron a digital indoor/outdoor thermometer for Christmas and it hangs on the wall. For some reason we have a fascination with checking the temperature and it seems like the colder the better. While we were eating breakfast it was negative five and just ten minutes later it was negative 3. See what I mean? We're obsessed. We actually thought it was five degrees and then got colder to 3 degrees which didn't make any sense, but later I discovered the dash to the side indicating those were negative temperatures! Whoa!!! What excitement.
This is a picture my grandpa took at his house probably close to 50 years ago. Is that crazy or what?
I think we'd faint around here if we saw those kinds of temperatures.
I was talking to my aunt recently and I noticed her warm coat. She said she needs it to keep her warm while waiting for the bus to take her to work every morning. I told her how I used to have to be out in the cold a lot more than I do now. In college I walked around campus day in and day out without proper attire. I know I had a coat, but I didn't bother to wear a hat or scarf. Utah State was the worse! There were mornings where you couldn't even breathe in or you'd start coughing or your nose hairs would freeze. Then there were the days at Weber State when I had to drive everyday. I would get into a cold car parked outside the house and scrape the windows just enough to see to drive. It was hard, but I survived.
I like to tell the story of our two cars we used to have when we were first married. One had air conditioning-the Maxima- and one had heat-the Subaru- so Aaron would always give me the good car depending on what season it was. There were several winters that he would drive the cold car (Maxima) to school and work and just FREEZE to death so that the kids and I didn't have to. What a guy! Actually he's still freezing because he kicked his car out of the garage to make room for the van.
Anyway, I was telling my aunt how it's funny that now that I don't need to get up and go to work or school I have a really warm coat and a garage to put my car in. Go figure.
I'm very grateful to have a warm house when it's cold outside....oh let me see...it's now -1.9 degrees outside. It's warming up!
Have a great day staying out of the cold. Oh, and Happy New Year!

1 comment:
I love reading your blog Nik. I remember Dad had a thermometer on the back porch before the remodel. I think Mom told us we could wear shorts when the red line got to 75 degrees. Shorts were such a big deal back then because we couldn't wear them to school.
Post a Comment