Thursday, January 17, 2013

Food for Thought

I came across this verse of scripture from my reading yesterday that goes perfect with everything I've been thinking lately. It's from the Doctrine and Covenants Section 64 verse 33 and it says,

"33 Wherefore, be not aweary in bwell-doing, for ye are laying the foundation of a great work. And out of csmall things proceedeth that which is great."

I've heard this before or even read it before, but this time is had a lot of meaning for me. I thought it about it all day and how it pertains to everything I'm trying to do as a mother including feeding the family.  All day long yesterday I tried to not "be weary in well-doing" and it was hard.  But I kept reminding myself!

It's true though how all the little things you do add up to something great.  Yesterday I thought about Christian's reading.  He's past those first struggles of sounding out words and trying to recognize sight words.  It's just flowing and when I listen to him read I'm amazed at the words he knows how to read.  How did this all happen?  He's had great people at school who have helped him in the past couple of years and I'm grateful for what they've done for him. But, I'd like to think I had something to do with it. I mean we've been working at this for 6-7 years now.  I'd like to think all the times we went to the library especially the summer after Brooke was born- that's all we did!- had something to do with it or all the times I made him sit on the couch and read with me before he could play with his friends or play on the computer.  He would get so frustrated when he didn't know a word, but we kept at it.  And now, he's got it.  All the little things added up.  

So, patience my friends. One day we will see the fruits of our labors and they will be no small thing!!   And remind yourself all day not to be weary, ok? 
Ok, me too.

1 comment:

Priscila said...

Nikki,
I'm starting to think that you are inside my head and you are writing what is on my mind. Are you my twin or something?