Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Weekend Farmers

Last weekend my neighbors asked us to feed their animals while they were out of town for a few days. It was kind of fun taking care of all of them.  We had to collect eggs and feed the chickens and the dog and cats. They saved the pigs for someone else to feed- thank goodness. We all know how I feel about pigs!  Actually I didn't even know they had pigs because I can't hear or smell them- yeah!
I felt like real a farmer when I was out there doin' m' chores in a blizzard on two of the days and below freezing on the other days. How would it be to do that everyday or several times everyday all winter? (My dad knows!)  I worried about the animals freezing to death, but thankfully they were still alive when the neighbors got home.  They told us we could eat the eggs that we collected and they assured me they were much better than the eggs from the store.  I had never tried fresh eggs until yesterday and they were right, they were better.
Aaron and I are dreamers.  We've dreamed up so many dreams over the years of places to live and places to go, etc. I guess that's what makes life interesting.  Many of our dreams have been about our property in this valley that we've owned for over 10 years. You name it, we've dreamed it.   It's always been, "Someday when we live in the valley, we're going to have the cutest house, with a big corn patch out back and chickens running around, etc., etc..."   I think we listened to Tim McGraw's "Green Grass grows" way too many times. 

The chorus,

"I'm gonna live where the green grass grows 
Watch my corn pop up in rows 
Every night be tucked in close, to you 
Raise our kids where the good Lord's blessed 
Point our rockin' chairs towards the west 
And plant our dreams where the peaceful river flows 
Where the green grass grows "

Someday the green grass will grow again, and I don't know if there will ever be chickens or goats or even that big of a corn patch ( who's going to weed and take care of it all?), but we will have that cute house in "the valley."  I still can't believe we're actually here!

The Land

Our dream is getting one step closer as we are finalizing our house plans.  It is exciting and scary too!

Maybe I'll have my front porch after all.....


1 comment:

Karlie said...

That is so exciting! I'm sure the anticipation is the hardest. We really need to get the girls together sometime. It would be fun to visit when the weather begins to warm up agian. I hate driving through the canyon when the roads are snowy and icey. I don't know how you do it!