Sunday, May 8, 2011

Happy Mother's Day?

I started out today thinking I would write a Mother's Day post.  I thought about the great quotes I have about mothers that I could share.  I thought about a couple of journal entries from the past that I've written about how much I enjoy being a mother. I could have shared one of them. Then I thought about all the mothers in my life. Why not write about them?  After at least an hour of all this thinking I realized that if I didn't hurry and get a nap before the baby woke up then my window would be past. I gave up on the post idea altogether and figured I could say all those wonderful things about motherhood some other day.
An hour later  I'm feeding the baby and still thinking how wonderful motherhood is when the rest of the family returns home from church. The kids are fighting and crying and even Aaron is ornery and cross. He had been dealing with this same thing for an hour during sacrament meeting.  Suddenly I feel the tears start to well up in my eyes and I did all I could to stop them from coming.  I thought to myself "Being a mother is SO hard!"  The fighting continued for another couple of hours and I kept telling myself I had to do something to redeem the day. Why is it that I expected the kids to be perfect on my special day when they're not perfect on any other day?  
In the end it wasn't myself that redeemed the day, but Emma. She had the idea to clean the playroom and got the other kids involved. They spent three hours on the job and though they fought a good part of that time, they finished.  It was something that I wanted done and Emma was the one to make it happen.  Motherhood isn't easy. It is definitely NOT a cakewalk, but it is good. I love being a mother and I feel so blessed to have the privilege.  The end.

3 comments:

Colleen said...

It is hard to believe that those cherubic faces could be such stinkers. It is the good times that balance out the bad times. I too am the recipient of Emmas good cleaning skills in my play room. Mothers day isn't always what it is cracked up to be.....but I can't imagine not having you all in my life. I love seeing you as a mom. You are better at it than I ever was and I learn from you everyday. Happy Mothers Day! Love, Mom
PS: You have 365 days to lower your expectations. [wink]

Jenny said...

I love this post. It's so real and all of us relate to the reality of it. I had to give my kids a mother's day guilt trip in order to get them to behave and stop fighting.

Robin said...

How sweet is Emma. Being a Mother is harder than I ever thought it was going to be. I never thought potty training would lead to poo in my shoe. A lot of surprises along the way. The best surprise of all is how fun it is too. You are a wonderful mother and an amazing example to me. Keep on keepin on.