"They say I'm crazy
I really don't care
That's my prerogative"
I used to listen to this music in junior high. I had to ask what prerogative meant when I first heard it. And just now when I looked up the lyrics I realized that I had no idea what the rest of the song meant either. And be careful looking up prerogative on the internet, yikes! We all know how Bobby Brown's life has turned out because of his decisions...
Anyways...I was looking through my stuff yesterday trying to find something and I found these tapes that I didn't know I had kept.
This is some of the music I listened to in elementary and junior high. It cracks me up how I used to love to listen to this stuff. I had no idea what they were talking about in the songs. All I knew is that, yeah, "I can make my own decisions", and yeah "girls just wanna have fun", and "pop goes the world" and "we built this city on rock n roll". I felt so cool when I listened to these songs. I'll never forget back in third grade waking up to "Kyrie" by Mister Mister on the radio. I couldn't even tell what the lyrics were, but I loved the song. And then there was Tiffany. I would sit on my bed in my room and listen to that album over and over. "Johnny's got the inside moves...." Cracks me up!!!! I used to feel so cool when I'd listen to pop music. One time in the 8th grade me and my friends stayed up on New Year's Eve making up a dance to "Ice Ice Baby" We thought we were so awesome. Good times! I better stop before I tell you more, but I absolutely loved that kind of music.
Here's the album covers. This is as crazy as they looked back then. Nowadays I feel like I'm looking at pornography when I'm in the itunes store or at the redbox. I have to hurry and make a selection and get out of there. It seems like the artists all think that they have to look sexy or scary to sell an album. The sad thing is, it works.
I guess I'm a total nerd now when it comes to popular music. I have no idea who anyone is or what the songs are and I only know who Adele is because I can see in the margin on my itunes that she has the top selling album. Back then the music made me feel cool, but now it kind of makes me sick. When I hear it on the radio I can feel an immediate change in my mood and I don't like it. These days I like the silence or I'm sorry, the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. The kids make sure and let me know "it's not Sunday" if it's on during the week because they'd rather listen to the cool stuff. So, we do listen to whatever's on the radio if they are in the car (censored by me of course)
I can't help it, it makes me feel good. I ran a race a few years ago and everyone on my team was saying what they were listening to on their ipods and when it got to me I hesitated before I told them the truth. And the truth is I NEVER could have made it through that race without the Mormon Tabernacle choir and primary music and General Conference talks. It sounds really crazy, but it's so true. I listened to the music that inspired me to keep going. The other stuff just made me feel crappy so I took it off.
Ok, enough of my secrets for one day. I think I'll listen to my long lost music for ol' times sake. If I can find a tape player that is. Just kidding! We're so old school we have one of those.
Have a great life listening to the music that you love. It's your prerogative, you know.



7 comments:
Oh Nikki.... I love you. I could make you a whole "mix tape" of modern popular songs that are actually good and feel-good songs. I know what you mean about the Mormon Tab Choir though, good stuff.
You are the best. Love you.
Love it Nikki! I still sometimes sing "Ice Ice Baby" while i'm making dinner...now Henry thinks its so funny and he sings "ice ice lizzy" or "ice ice mommy" then starts laughing so hard! I guess i need to play mormon tabernacle choir more often around here:)
I always tell my kids, "Stop, collaborate and listen." They don't know what I'm talking about. Listen to "Lucky" by Jason Mraz and Colbie Caillat. It will make you happy.
Good idea Carly! I'd love that. It's too hard for me to filter through everything so I usually just avoid it altogether. Same goes with movies and books.
I love your instructions Melissa, that's funny!
And Emily I love that you still sing that song. Weren't you one of the people who made up the dance that night?
Just one more secret. The Cindy Lauper concert. I can still see what you wore and how much you loved it. I never listen to the words either, and at this life stage, I would never remember them anyway. But I loved that you loved Cindy Lauper. I think even the Tabernacle Choir would understnad that one. Cause Girls do just want to have fun!!
Every once in a while one of those commercials for pop songs sung by kids comes on and I get sick. Not only are many songs improperly suggestive of adult themes, they are also just dumb. But, kids grow up and they decide for themselves if a song that just repeats "Tonight's going to be a good night" over and over is music worth listening to (on the other hand, I suppose having a good night isn't such a bad thing (of course, the other lyrics refer to a different kind of good night))
Did you have a Nelson poster? It seems familiar. Now that I am older, I realize some of the songs I loved were a bit racy. Even movies or television shows like Threes Company or Grease. Oh Bobby Brown!
Post a Comment