In my last post I mentioned that I was looking through my stuff when I found those cassette tapes. Well, this book is what I was actually looking for. This is my first Book of Mormon that I got when I was eight. It's a cheap copy that's easy for flipping through and for keeping on the table. I didn't remember this copy being so beat-up and I was surprised to see the string around it. Instead of using it I'll put it back in my cedar chest, but before I do I want to post about it and about why I want to keep a copy on the table.
Last Sunday in church the topic for Sacrament meeting was The Book of Mormon. The first speaker who was probably in his 50's or 60's in age testified of how the book had changed him as a teenager. He didn't read much, he was a motocross racer who spent much of his time doing that, and his parents were alcoholics. A friend of his encouraged him to read the book to find out if it was true and he took on the challenge. Though he wasn't much of a reader he couldn't put the book down and finished it in a week. He found out for himself it was true. I was touched by his humble testimony.
The next speaker based his remarks on a talk by President Ezra Taft Benson titled The Book of Mormon- Keystone of our Religion. The meaning of that title is that our religion, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is like an arch made of stones. All the stones represent tenets of our faith and the top center stone is the Book of Mormon. If you were to remove this stone the arch would crumble. That's how important the Book of Mormon is. If it's false then so is the religion. That talk helped me to realize how important the Book of Mormon is and it made me rethink what I believe about The Book of Mormon. So, first I want to share my testimony of the book and then explain why I want it on the table.
This Book of Mormon pictured is my first book. Inside I have my sloppy signature from when I was eight, the year I was baptized.
Yeah, my handwriting isn't much better now.
Here's another picture of the spine.
I guess I kept this because it is the first B.O.M. I ever read. I had received it when I turned eight, but didn't read it all the way through until the ninth grade. Up to that point I had tried to read here and there, but never gave it a serious attempt. I had the same feelings my kids do in that the scriptures are hard to understand because of the language they use. In ninth grade my seminary teacher challenged us to read it and I took him up on it. My heart was softened at the time because our family was going through a tough stretch and I think this is why I persisted in my effort.
I don't remember understanding a lot of what I read, but I remember how I felt. I honestly got to a point where I looked forward to reading it every night. Though I don't remember any particular teaching that affected me that first reading, I do remember how excited I was leading up to the appearance of the Savior to the people in America. The whole book testifies of Jesus Christ and I understood enough to know that the people were waiting in faith for him to come. And, the ones who believed that he would come were going to be put to death by the unbelievers if he didn't actually come as was prophesied. I could feel the importance of the event and the truth that it actually happened.
Well, reading the book that year changed my life. The Book of Mormon has power to change lives and it changed mine. It strengthened me and brought peace and happiness into my life. Because of the spirit that accompanied me my mind was clear and I saw things differently. I could see how I needed to change to become a better person. I had a desire to be kinder and I was more aware of others' feelings. That was a turning point in my life.
It was a turning point because I was going through some tough trials and I could have said "I give up!" I could have given into the temptations that were there and I could have started down the wrong path like some friends did. That book played a major role in getting me through that part of my life.
Since then the Book of Mormon has meant even more to me. As I read it and reread it I'm constantly learning new lessons. There are so many gems inside. Over and over again I feel the truth of the book and I just can't express in words how much this book means to me. I love it.
Now I need to explain why I want the Book of Mormon on the table. Aaron and I are always breaking up fights in the house because the kids are constantly fighting. Recently it has seemed worse than ever. We've been trying to find a solution to the problem and when I heard those talks on Sunday I knew what we needed to do. I had to go back and read the talk that was quoted in Sacrament meeting because in it was a powerful promise. This is from President Marion G. Romney who said:
“I feel certain that if, in our homes, parents will read from the Book of Mormon prayerfully and regularly, both by themselves and with their children, the spirit of that great book will come to permeate our homes and all who dwell therein. The spirit of reverence will increase; mutual respect and consideration for each other will grow. The spirit of contention will depart. Parents will counsel their children in greater love and wisdom. Children will be more responsive and submissive to the counsel of their parents. Righteousness will increase. Faith, hope, and charity—the pure love of Christ—will abound in our homes and lives, bringing in their wake peace, joy, and happiness.”3
Whoa! Could it really happen? We have already been studying the scriptures as a family, but our scripture study doesn't resemble study most of the time. First of all it's sporadic and when it does happen the kids are bouncing off the couches or not paying attention or flat out talking when we're trying to read. There have been good times when I think they learned something, but we could really use some improvement. When I was at the house of the bishop once and saw that he had a basket of scriptures on his kitchen table and his wife explained that that is where they read their scriptures. So a light bulb went on and I thought maybe we should do the same thing. If we were at the table the kids can't bounce around or get up and leave the room. We can all read along with our own handy copy and pay attention, right? Will reading around the table help? I don't know, but it's worth a try. I'm confident that if we give it our BEST effort then we will see some improvement. Here goes...



1 comment:
Nik,
I still have my copy as well, with a handwritten not from Barbara who was the primary president at the time. Good treasures for sure. It is extremely important to me to share my love of the scriptures with Farrah. We are doing good so far reading each night. Hopefully we can keep it up!
Love you.
Post a Comment