Thursday, July 14, 2011

Glorious


When I was little I dreamed of being an olympian or a world cup champion.  Playing sports was a huge part of my life back then.  These days I do more spectating than playing.  Every once in a while when I watch the national team play I wonder if I could have been good enough to play at that level had I trained really hard and wanted it bad enough.  Just one of those "coulda shoulda woulda" moments I guess.

I was watching the US Women's semifinal match against France yesterday and they showed clips from the Brazil game,  namely the game tying goal by Abby Wambach. I welled up with tears as I watched the play from start to finish.  It was glorious. I also cried during the semifinal game when Abby scored again to win.  They were able to come through when the odds were against them.  It was a team thing and it was amazing. I love seeing the impossible happen. Players are focused, patient, and confident, and are able to execute when the opportunity arises. It never gets old for me.

I think the tear was also shed in remembrance of my own amazing sports experiences. There were a lot of hard times where I wasn't focused, wasn't confident, or wasn't willing to give anymore than I was giving. There were also times when I didn't care to win or lose.  Then there were the mental blocks that prevented me from doing anything. I remember all those times.
But....there were also some really good moments where the stars aligned and I was able to accomplish impossible things.  I was able to focus and execute beyond my normal abilities. Moments where I dug deep and found out what I was made of.  There were good times when everyone on the team worked together to beat the odds.  I am so grateful for the gifts and talents God gave me to participate in sports and for the many opportunities I've had to play.  Though I'll never play in the World Cup, I have built a lifetime of amazing sports moments I'll cherish forever.

GO USA!!!!

1 comment:

Colleen said...

You were all that and more. I wish you could see those amzing moments thru my eyes. I shed more than a few tears when I saw those moments come to you. Thanks for the memories. Love, mom