Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Holly Dolly

My sister Holly is having a birthday today and I'd like to take a minute to tell you what a great sister she is.
She's the oldest in the family and I think that would be hard. You have to go through everything first and you're always expected to behave better than everyone else.  I had it a little easier being younger because I just followed what my sisters did.  I relied on their examples to know what to do,  how to dress, and how to act all the time.  Like for instance I credit Holly with teaching me to pray.
 I was eight or nine and up to this point I hadn't really prayed on my own. I'd been taught to pray, but for some reason I hadn't done it.  I was often scared at night as children are and one night I asked Holly who was in the bed next to me what she did to help her not be scared. She told me that she prayed every night and asked Heavenly Father to help her feel good and it worked.  I may have said my first prayer that night, I don't remember for sure, but it was the beginning of a regular pattern of prayer in my life.  Prayer has been everything to me and she was the one to set that example.

Holly is the most loyal friend you'll ever have. She's the first one to show up when you need help and she won't leave until the job's done. She is so generous she'd give the shirt off her own back for you.  When I had my first baby she showered me with gifts and then gave me all her baby stuff so I didn't have to go out and buy it.  Every year she generously offers her Halloween costumes.  She's always been there for me in my good and bad times.

Thank you for everything my beautiful sister Holly!



Pictured here with husband Lex




This Holly with Brooke. She is good with babies and she has always been so good to all my kids.


2 comments:

Colleen said...

Well said Nik. Holly is all of the above. She is so generous with everything she does. She goes above and beyond when she is given a task. She loves her kids so much that she shops from 8:00PM Thanksgiving night until about 5:00 AM on Black Friday just to find the right gift for them....who does that? I love to sing with her, she has such a beautiful voice. I love her enthusiasm for the things she loves! She is also really good at English. I always go to her for "Spell Check" [even though Robin won the Turkey] Happy Birthday Holly...you are loved. Thanks for this great post Nik. Love, mom

Anonymous said...

I love ya Nik! I'm not sure I deserve your praise, but thanks! I have always told you that I want to grow up to be like you. I totally mean it! You have wonderful qualities that I want to emulate! Thanks for loving me. Love ya lots!