Sat. night they had another great time at my mom's house.
Here are some pictures of the gang
Argh!
Our little elf
Gypsie girl
Lindsey- the bat who can't see.
After the parade the kids played a really fun game. My mom took pictures around the barnyard and created an I-Spy treasure hunt. Instead of written clues they had picture clues. The kids probably ran a few miles by the time they were done because my mom had them running all over the place.
In the end they were led to the scariest place of all- the basement!
This is the scariest basement I've ever been in. It's complete with cobwebs, old furniture, a coal room, a hole in the ground, old books and magazines, you name it. Oh, and it smells like mildew. The kids were really scared and Christian and Lindsey almost stayed upstairs. Also, Lex went down there prior to hide and he jumped out with a hockey mask on. Emma said she was so scared she cried.
This picture taken in low lighting makes it look even more ghostly, doesn't it? The treasure was found and quickly consumed. What a great time!
WARNING: lengthy costume discussion to follow
Some years I make costumes and some years I hope the kids pick something in my sister Holly's costume box. Thanks Holly!!!! This year is not a good year for making costumes, but since the girls are older now it's hard to convince them to borrow a costume. They'd like it if I just bought one, but I just can't get myself to spend money on a cheapo costume even if they do only wear it a couple times. So..... I made Emma's gypsy costume from D.I. fabric and stuff around the house.
Christian's is from the neighbor-yeah!! And, Brooke wasn't going to get a costume at all until one day Emma mentioned she looked like an elf. Elf! I thought, yes she would be a perfect elf! This is when things went down hill, or up? I had so much fun making Brooke an elf costume, but the house literally turned inside out while I did so. There just wasn't time, but I did it anyway.
Our Saturday of the party went like this: wake up early (5:00 a.m.) to feed the baby and get ready. Pick up kids 20 minutes away at the "creepover", feed Brooke again before driving another 20 minutes to 2 soccer games-wait, don't forget the treats and don't forget to drop Christian off at the neighbor's house so they can take him to his game. Where's Aaron? Deer hunting of course!
Time to take a breather? NO, time to nurse the baby again and finish costumes. In between making costumes, I'm making french bread for the party. There was flour all over the counter right next to the sewing machine. Oh, we can't forget the pumpkins to carve at Grandma's! On the way baby is screaming because she is hungry, but no time to feed! We've got a party ( 45 min. drive) to be at!! Luckily by now Aaron is back from deer hunting to help before the party.
Needless to say when we returned home from the party the house was a bombshell. We both agreed we had NEVER seen it so messy and that is saying a lot.
What a weekend. Why do I make things so hard on myself?? Are there other crazy mothers like me out there or are you smarter than this?
This week has been better. I ended up making Lindsey a candy corn costume, but I gave myself all week to do it. I'll share those pictures after Halloween. I don't really know how to sew clothing so it gets me all tied up in knots while I try to sew a costume.
It's been fun, but too crazy.
The End.








2 comments:
Life is just harder with a small baby and older kids. Babies require us to slow down, but our older kids need us to be on the go all the time. If you figure out a solution then let me know! (I just have to think about the Duggars and my life seems so simple in comparison. Right?)
Yeah, the Duggars. I haven't seen them on tv for a while. Are they still around?
Post a Comment