This is my first attempt at capturing lightning. I know, I know, this does not look like lightning- the stuff in the bottom left corner is lights from the city-, but someday when I learn to take pictures of lightning I'm going to look back at this picture and be so proud of myself for how far I've come. My brother would have taken an amazing picture of this. The lightning was so constant that I figured I could surely capture it.
Don't you just love watching a thunderstorm? If I see lightning especially at night I love to pile the kids in the car and drive to a good spot unobstructed by houses or trees to watch it. I can still remember one of these occasions when Christian was around 2 years old. It was just the two of us and we were watching a storm from the back porch. I can still see the surprised look on his face when he'd see the lightning or hear the thunder. This is when I taught him the word "thunder". He kept pointing to the sky saying, "punda!"
The storm the other night rolled in after the kids went to bed so Aaron and I sat out on our front porch- (camp chairs on the driveway) alone and watched. I had seen flashes of light from inside the house between the blinds and decided to open the door and check it out. Seeing the lightning I grabbed the camera and took some pictures. When I didn't return to bed right away Aaron came out to join me. Yeah!!
At first the lightning was just behind one mountain. Pretty soon there were flashes in every direction. This lightning show lasted quite a while and we were about to go in when we felt the wind pick up. We didn't realize the storm was headed in our direction and it was now upon us. Not wanting to miss the excitement, yet not wanting to get wet, we took cover in the open garage and watched with wonder how hard and fast the rain fell and how loud the thunder was. The ground seemed to shake with each crack and boom. No firework show I've ever seen can compare to that powerful storm. It lasted just a few minutes and then it was gone. So amazing.
I'm so glad I decided to attempt taking pictures of lightning. It made for a memorable evening.

1 comment:
Nikki, you are so brave. I would do the totally opposite. I'm so scared of lightning that I would have actually closed all the curtains and not even looked at it and gotten as far away from the window as I could. Here we have some pretty crazy lightning storms. You would probably love it.
Post a Comment