Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Porch Dreams

There's a country song I used to know that talked about the value of a front porch.
It's by Tracy Lawrence and it's titled "If the World had a Front Porch"

I found the lyrics for you:

"It was where my Mama sat on that old swing with her crochet
It was where Granddaddy taught me how to cuss and how to pray
It was where we made our own ice cream those sultry summer nights
where the bulldog had her puppies,and us brothers had our fights
There were many nights I'd sit right there and look out at the stars
To the sound of a distant whippoorwill or the hum of a passing car
It was where I first got up the nerve to steal me my first kiss
and it was where I learned to play guitar and pray I had the gift

(Chorus)
If the world had a front porch like we did back then
We'd still have our problems but we'd all be friends
Treating your neighbor like he's your next of kin
Wouldn't be gone with the wind
If the world had a front porch, like we did back then

Purple hulls and pintos, I've shelled more than my share
As lightening bugs and crickets danced in the evening air
And like a beacon that old yellow bulb, it always led me home
Somehow Mama always knew just when to leave it on

(Repeat Chorus)
Treating your neighbor like he's your next of kin
Wouldn't be gone with the wind
If the world had a front porch, like we did back then"



I love this song because it totally fits my vision of a front porch.  Being outside, greeting neighbors and friends, growing up, etc.  Another of my dreams-beside the family bike ride- is to have a front porch on our future house.  I've seen many houses with front porches, but this is one of my favorites:



This is a bungalow in Bend, Oregon where these houses are in abundance.  Aaron and I fell in love with them and I think it's the front porch that does it for me. Doesn't it look so inviting?

I fell in love with the front porch concept when I met Aaron.  Before we were married I used to come to his house at night and we'd sit out on his front porch and visit.  Sometimes he would play the guitar for me.  Through the years that front porch has been such a fun place to be.

 Sunday evening is the time we usually gather on the front porch at Aaron's parents house and catch up on everybody's life.  I love to talk so I think that's why I enjoy this so much. We eat treats and just enjoy each other's company.  It seems like someone always has a good story to tell or a bit of news to share.  At least one time we announced a pregnancy here- Brooke for sure.

It's probably too cold to gather on the front porch anymore this year, but I snapped some pictures a couple of weeks ago.





This is an extension of the front porch. With all the little kids we have around sometimes we have to add a blanket on the grass.

This is my cute nephew Max. He always has a big smile to share.



I don't know if I'll ever have my own front porch, but at least I can still enjoy Mari's for many years to come.




No comments: