Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Christian's "Coat"

Our favorite boy had a birthday. Here he is with some presents.







I wanted to give Christian a robe for his birthday this year, but when I looked around I couldn't find what I wanted and I wasn't excited about paying the prices.  So, I explored the idea of making my own. When I weighed the cost of the pattern and the material and all the work I would put into it,  the store bought robes were looking better all the time. But, since I'm thrifty and don't give up easy even when I should, I made him one anyway.

It all started when I found this adult sized "Snuggie" at my favorite secondhand store in perfect boy print for 4$.  Bingo!!! I really preferred having a pattern, but instead I traced his sister's robe on to some paper and made a pattern for his. I cut up the snuggie and about five hours later -stretched over three days-and not too soon, voila, a cute boy's robe.  The print is boyish and the fabric is good quality and you can't beat the price!!!


Here's the before..........
(Yes, I tried it on first and I felt like a penguin because there's two holes in the bottom corners for your feet. It made me want to lie down and watch tv and sip hot chocolate.)



........And after




This project was fun, but next time I'll be really tempted to just buy the one at the store.   Oh, and since I've been listening to "Joseph" music lately I felt like I was sewing Christian his own coat of many colors.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

This is what I love about your sewing projects: with the drapes and this crazy penguin thing you turned something no one would want into something awesome! I love recycling and it's so much more impressive to me than when someone buys new fabric and makes something out of that. I mean you have to have creative vision to do what you do, AND you save things from the garbage heap. Love it!