Tuesday, November 8, 2011

April Fool's and Joseph's Coat

Have you ever messed up on the day the time changes?  Please tell me you have. On Sunday we were supposed to set the clocks back an hour, but it didn't happen at our house.  Sunday morning was a big morning for me. I had a big meeting to get to at 8:30 a.m. and before that I had to frost cupcakes, feed the baby and shower and get ready.  I timed everything just so and then showed up to the meeting right on time. The church was so quiet and dark and the door was even locked. I went back to my car to call my neighbor who was attending the meeting. As I dialed the number I noticed the clock on my cell phone showed 7:30 a.m. but when I looked at my watch it said 8:30 a.m. I was so confused, but still didn't get it.  This meeting is a meeting I have to be at once a month, but because of having a baby, I haven't been to it for 8 months. This was my big day back and as I sat there I wondered if they had changed the time or location without me knowing.  I verified the time and location on the phone with my neighbor and when I told her no one else was at the meeting she explained that it was actually 7:30 a.m and the time had changed.  Ahhhhhh!  So funny, right? It is funny, but it was so NOT funny at the time. I felt like it was April Fool's Day and the joke was on me.
The good thing is when you mess up in the fall you have another chance. In the spring you show up an hour late.  The latter happened to me in high school. It was the day of the spring time change or the start of daylight savings at the first of April. I was asked on a date to go to General Conference in Salt Lake. The boy showed up right after I had gotten out of the shower and I couldn't figure out why he had showed up an hour early to pick me up. When I found out what time it really was I was so mad at my family for not telling me about the time change. I ended up going with wet hair and some dress I just threw on. How funny, huh? It was NOT funny at the time.  I'll give credit to my family and say that they probably had no idea I had a date that morning and that I would need to know about the time change.
Anyway, after my experience on Sunday I learned that I need to slow down so I can laugh at things like that. Because I put so much pressure on myself that morning to accomplish what I did, there was no room for error and when things didn't go right I fell apart.


Go Go Go Joseph!  I took the girls to Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat at the local high school over the weekend and they loved it. The high school did an awesome job. I found the soundtrack online and we've been listening to it constantly since then. It's great, but I've got every song swimming around in my head all day long.  For F.H.E. last night we talked about the story of Joseph.  I guess we're big fans now.
The musical is funny and great and really entertaining. It  basically tells the story while using funny cultural references and song and dance. I don't mean to get philisophical on you, but I've been thinking of the deeper meanings in that story that don't come out in the musical.  My favorite part of that story is the love Joseph shows for his brothers after all they did to him. They were jealous of him, hated him, almost killed him, and ended up selling him into slavery.  He could have really sought revenge on them, but instead when the opportunity came he saved their lives. It honestly brings me to tears when I think of it. What an amazing example of forgiveness!!

Carry on!

No comments: