Each year there are several races that go through this valley because of its beauty. For a lot of people who live here it is annoying. Because I've been on both sides I can sympathize with both parties. A month ago we got caught in marathon traffic on our way to piano lessons. Our 10 minute drive ended up being a 45 minute drive. It was insane. Later on I decided that we actually hit the road at the wrong time. Two hours before or one hour after and we would have been fine. You just gotta know when to stay home or when to completely disappear.
I've also been on the racing side albeit five years ago. I used to do a few races a year it seems, but these days I'm good to just sit around and do nothing- just kidding. Almost! No, my enthusiasm for races has waned ever since the big one- I'm talking about the current race going on out my front door. Five years ago I ran in this very race and literally that's the last time I ran.
Everyone loves the Ragnar relay except me I think. I place it up there right along with natural child birth as the hardest thing I've ever done. Seriously! I think I got stuck with the hardest runs and I'm not even a runner. My knees and back are bad and they were killing the whole time. It was like having a sleepover with your friends where you not only get zero sleep, but three times during the night you go out and run up steep hills. How fun is that??????? I got my fill of running I guess and I've not run a mile since.
Despite the hard running it was fun to be with the Valley girls and I'll always remember it thanks to a movie I made that I'm not willing to take the time to put on here. But, here are some pictures that I stole off my sister's blog. She took some pictures of us- yeah!
Our van
This is Trixie, our mannequin decoration on top of the car. Our team name was "Valley Babefest"
Most of the girls from the team were from or living in the valley.
This is my favorite picture because it looks like the heavens are shining down on me. That's exactly how I got through the race- with heavenly help. See those head phones in my ears ? I'm listening to primary/ Tabernacle Choir music, even General Conference talks. I listened to them while I trained and then continued to listen while I raced. Some people thought I was kind of weird, but it was the only way I could make it up those hills.
There were rewards along the way like beautiful clouds and sunsets and going downhill just when I didn't think I could make it further. And the girls were very inspiring and helpful to me every step of the way. I guess I am glad I did it. Just glad I don't ever have to do it again:) When I look at those runners out there a very small part of me wishes I was out there running, put a much greater part of me says, "Naaaa.. no thanks. Been there done that."
Party on Ragnar racers!




No comments:
Post a Comment