We had the neatest experience the other night. After everyone had gone to bed and I was closing up for the night I looked out the back window. Sometimes there are deer there and one time even elk so I like to look and hope that there is something. To my surprise, there were three silhouettes that looked like elk. I ran to another window and saw 20 more just outside the house. Although Aaron had already been asleep for 45 minutes I went in and woke him up. I was afraid he might be mad, but he was just as excited to see them. We sat there and watched them from the window ever so quietly because I was afraid we'd scare them off. A week earlier I think I scared off a whole herd when I got a little too excited. I realized that one was really close to the house and I was telling everyone to hurry and look. I guess I was too loud or something because the elk got spooked and took off. The whole herd followed. My other theory is that she saw
Pete through the window and that scared her:) I was so sad that they left so quickly and I really hoped that they would come back someday.
So, this time we were being super quiet and moving very slow. I didn't want the girls to miss out-Christian and Brooke were already asleep- so I ran down and got the girls to come see them. I think we looked and whispered for 45 minutes. We were mesmerized and it just felt like a magical experience. The girls and I all agreed that it somehow felt like Christmas Eve.
Another thing I've really enjoyed is all the bald eagles we get to see. I've never seen so many up here ever. One day while driving and without my camera I saw 9 of them in one tree alone. I couldn't believe it!
Here's a couple of far away shots that I got with my camera. That's as good as it gets. This was the same eagle who changed spots one day.
Just one more thing to look forward to on a daily basis.
1 comment:
that is so cool! I don't remember seeing bald eagles in the valley either. I've been amazed at how many i've seen up here in idaho...they must be smart birds and know a good place to live when they see it!
Post a Comment