Saturday, September 3, 2011

So much Fun

I've been really busy this week since the kids went back to school.  I feel like I gained some ground on the housework. A few nights this week I felt so exhausted from working that I was glad to get to bed. Something inside me has kicked in and said "I can do this. Work is good." I'm not sure how long this feeling will last, but it feels good. It is so nice to be getting dinner on the table again-finally!  I even had time midweek after I had m' chores done to do something FUN!

I was looking at a blog and saw a tutorial on making a ruffled skirt. It reminded me of the ruffled skirts that I had planned on making the girls over a year ago. The fabric was still downstairs all ready to go.  I knew I had to feed the baby and make dinner, but because of my new "I can do this " attitude I ran downstairs to find the fabric.  For the next several hours between feedings and dinner I started making a skirt and it was looking really cute.
The skirts had never been made because I got all tied up over how to make them. You see, the fabric is a curtain, two actually that I found at my favorite thrift store.

I couldn't get in my mind how to turn the curtain into two skirts.  So I banished the sack of fabric to the basement for possibly forever.  
The break did me good. I needed over a year break to figure it out. This time it actually just took a couple minutes for me to realize I needed to cut the ruffles off of the curtain and sew them on the lining fabric. I cut the lining quick and measured the girls' waists and got sewing quicker than I ever get sewing. 
Finally after two days I had two pink ruffled skirts. They are so girly and so much fun.  Then I had an idea- there is one more girl in the house and she needs a skirt too.  Now we have three girls in three girly pink skirts.




Sewing gives me that lift I need. There's just something fun about using my mind to figure out how to make something and seeing the finished product. It's even better when I see the girls enjoying their skirts so much. Lindsey practically slept in hers.  


5 comments:

Robin said...

Whoa! Exceeded my expectations. They turned out so cute. Super Mom! Now you need one.

Carly said...

Oh man! Those are amazing Nik!!! I guess I didn't realize the ruffles could be straightened out. So adorable. I bet the girls love them. Have they worn them to school yet?

Nikki said...

Yeah Carly I cut the ruffles off and they were already gathered so I didn't have to do that part.
I'm sure they will be wearing them to school ASAP. Lindsey is STILL wearing hers. She has added cowgirl boots and at times a robe on top. Hey, whatever you want!

Colleen said...

Oh Nik! So adorable! And that Brooke....so precious. You are amazing! Thanks for a fun morning yesterday. Hugs, mom

Jenny said...

They turned out awesome. I'm so impressed that you carved out time to sew. You need that creative release.