Friday, December 6, 2013

Tis the season to be jolly

Christmas 2010

Because of the fact that we are finishing up our new house and moving all in a couple of weeks, this Christmas season has been a little bit different. Usually I spend several weeks thinking and planning and being careful to get the perfect gifts at the perfect prices. Then there are the Christmas projects that there's not enough time to complete. It's never done until Christmas Eve.  Some people just get it done and out of the way before December even starts.
This year I've tried to just get it done as quickly as possible because I've got a lot of other more important things to do.  On Tuesday night I designated Wed. as my shopping day in Ogden.  All my other shopping could hopefully be done online.  I mapped out where I would go and how much time I had. Bringing Brooke along wouldn't be too hard since she doesn't really understand Christmas and I could only spend a couple of hours anyway.
The first store I went to had some deals plus I had a $10 off coupon so I was ready for a good experience.  Things started out good in the parking lot. I had just talked to a friend on the phone who told me that her family was going to skip the presents this year and instead travel to Ecuador to serve at an orphanage. I was so impressed by that and it was fresh on my mind when I saw an elderly woman in the parking lot finishing up with her cart. I offered to take it in with me and she gladly accepted. Someone did that for me recently and I was so grateful.  Yeah! I was doing good.  
Next I battled with Brooke in the store while trying to fill up the cart with toys for the cousins. She wasn't doing too bad, but she was starting to get upset.
As I got to the checkout line I let a man go before me. Feelin' good! Look at me go.  When it was my turn to checkout I happily unloaded all the toys and handed her my 10$ off coupon. Yeah!  But to my great astonishment she handed me back my coupon and said "this doesn't start until tomorrow." What???!!!  My surprise and disappointment were obvious as I let out a loud "Uhhhhhhhhhhh!"and threw my head back.  The lady behind me showed me her coupon and said that she wouldn't be able to use hers either. Except for hers was for 15$ off. Where did she get that?  Anyway, then I mumbled something about the fine print and only coming to the store to use the coupon. Finally as she handed me the receipt she said "sorry about that" and I said "that's ok" although I should have said, "No, I'm sorry!"
On to the next store. As I was walking around I thought about that young girl I had been so rude to at the other store and I also noticed that the current store had the same things as the last store, but for more money. I realized that I really had gotten some good deals at the other store without the 10$ coupon.  AndI also thought how if I wanted 10$ off I should have put back one of the 10$ items I bought. That would have solved the problem.   I just couldn't believe how I acted and after I had started out so good. If I hadn't had to hurry and get home I may have stopped and apologized to her.

  I hate what Christmas sometimes does to me and other people. We totally miss the whole reason for the season. We make it so complicated when it's really just about being kinder, gentler, more giving, more forgiving, etc. And all because of Christ, the author of these virtues.

Getting so upset over 10$ is ridiculous. I won't do it again. And if I see someone else who does I'm going to forgive them because they probably just aren't in the right state of mind and they'll feel bad about it later.

'Tis the season

5 comments:

Jenny said...

I love this post. I feel so harried and yucky in town during this season. I love that you're able to get it all done in just one day. And, hey, you should have called me to babysit. We need to start up an exchange so we each have a day off once in a while.

lannandem said...

thanks for sharing nikki! i just had to re-read it since i will be venturing out christmas shopping with the kids in tow as well as a $10 off coupon! not looking forward to it, but i will take your advice about remembering the reason for the season:) Good luck with moving in your new house! can't wait for you to get all settled so you can enjoy your new home!

Mac said...

Give yourself a break big sister!

Colleen said...

Nik, I am humbled by this experience you had in town. The same thing happened to me last week. I have not told anyone about it because it was one of thse "let me crawl in a hole" experiences. I was in a looooonnnngggg line at Joann last week. I stepped out of line with a foot kind of still in the line to put something back like two feet away. You know how Joann has all those enticing junk things in the line. When I turned back around another lady and little girl were there. I was so bugged, because it appeared they had butted. I knew I should just turn the ole cheek, but I ended up saying something. (Me and my big mouth). After I got out of the store I found her and apologized. She explained that she got in line the same time as I did. It was one of those things you can not take bath. I had seen her before but it did not dawn on me till hours later that it was in the Temple that I had seen her. (Ouch).

Nikki said...

Ouch! Yeah, you want to take it back so bad. Hopefully she was forgiving and will forget about it.

My experience was still fresh on my mind when I ventured out again today. When I gave the cashier my coupon I was fully prepared for the coupon to be rejected. I was ready to be nice and say, "oh Well" Thankfully the coupon worked!