I used to know this lady in my old ward (church congregation) who was a convert to the church who was so excited about learning the gospel and always wanted to know more. During our Relief Society lessons she would frequently raise her hand and ask questions. She was so animated and after her questions got answered she would wave her arms in the air and say, "Sorry for the blowup, sorry for the blowup." It would crack me up and it just brought a big smile to my face. Every once in a while I like to use that phrase and today is one of those days.
I can't help it, but I'm a deep thinker. This fact is hard for my husband because I'm always trying to share with him one of my deep thoughts just as he is trying to drift off to sleep at night. He asked me recently why we couldn't just talk about something fun like the Jazz game or our next vacation or what's for dinner. Sorry! Anyway, yesterday I had one of those deep thoughts and I never got a chance to share it with Aaron because he was already asleep before it got fully developed. So I'll share it with y'all instead.
Yesterday as I was checking out at the grocery store I noticed for the 4th time that my grocery bill had gone up by 20%. What's going on? Later on I thought about the cheese we always buy at this store and how now it tastes like processed cheese. I don't know what they did to it, but it's not the same. The grocery list I held in my hand came from a note pad that I recently purchased. The paper was disintegrating in my hand and I want to say it was "paper thin", but that is too generous.
Still later I was cleaning up around the house and picked up a DVD case on the floor. As I held it in my hand I noticed how easily I could crush it. Did DVD cases used to be this wimpy? The more I thought the more I realized how cheap everything I've purchased lately seems to be. I had to buy twice as many shirts last week because they are so thin and lacking in coverage that I have to buy two to equal one. The problem is they are charging the same for a shirt that contains half the material. Also, in that same shopping trip I tried on a pair of shoes that literally looked like I sewed them myself. Not that I could really do that, but they were that flimsy and they were charging a steep price for the things. Are the companies trying to limit their carbon footprints by skimping on volume or are they trying to cut costs to keep above ground in this tough economy? Or maybe I'm shopping at the wrong store? Is it just the cheap stuff to begin with that is getting cheaper? I feel so jipped!
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon? Am I joining a conversation that has already been going on for a couple of years? What do you think?
I mean, sorry for the blowup, but can't I get good quality stuff anymore????
3 comments:
I've gone through this before. Check how the width of your toilet paper rolls have narrowed. The worst part of all of this is that they (the companies) never inform you about the change in quality when it goes down ("Now less paper for your money!").
P.S. you can deep think with me if you want.
I agree! Bottled water plastic is so thin now. Faux leather shoes are as expensive as leather shoes used to be. Half of the shirts I own require another shirt be worn underneath. Now I'm blowin' up.
yup i totally agree nikki! not sure the cause of it but i know the diapers we get seem to get flimsier and flimsier with each box.
On a lighter note(i'm not much of a deep thinker, but my husband is so i get what you mean, i am usually the one drifting off to sleep while he is talking about the expanse of the universe or how complex the brain is!) anyways, we were in the valley over Easter weekend and i saw your mom at church. It was fun to see her. It was a quick trip but hopefully next time we can plan to get together! I would LOVE to see you! Isn't Brooke turning 1 soon? When is her birthday?
Post a Comment