I want to share a good experience our family had recently. For family night or F.H.E. Aaron and I took the kids to visit with an elderly couple in our neighborhood named George and Antonette. We go to the same church and we see them every Sunday scooting down the halls in their walkers. Antonette always makes comments about Brooke and tells me about her own great-grand babies. George and I have a secret handshake. Every Sunday for the past year Aaron and I kept thinking we needed to go visit them and finally we did.
We sat and listened to them tell us about their lives, how they met, etc. and we talked of our common heritage. Antonette is Dutch and Aaron's grandpa is also Dutch. George and Antonette met for the first time at the post office. George joked that he went to get the mail and left with a female. We didn't know it before, but George is really funny. Before we left we sang a primary song together. Antonette was emotional when she picked the song we should sing. When she named the song, "A Child's Prayer" I couldn't believe my ears because that song has special meaning for me and I sing it to the kids all the time.
Our family left that night feeling so good and we wondered why it took us so long to go visit. It's amazing how many things we had in common with each other. You just don't know how neat people are until you take the time to get to know them. We look forward to our future friendship with George and Antonette.
Here's a blurry picture of our Family Night

No comments:
Post a Comment