Look at me I'm a blogging fool. I'm not sure what has gotten into me, though I'm sure it won't last.
I guess I've had a lot of posts in the back of my mind and I'm finally finding a minute to write.
So, I've been struggling to get exercise since Brooke was born and I think I may have a breakthrough. Unfortunately this only means that there are no longer any excuses for not getting exercise. Which is actually a good thing since in my heart that is what I'd really like to do. Hmmm.....
A month ago I was brainstorming on how to get exercise. I don't have a treadmill or gym membership and I'm not willing to get up at 5:00 a.m and walk in the dark so I need to get creative. I remembered a mother who trained for a marathon mostly inside her own home. Though she had 4-5 kids and her husband was super busy and unavailable she still found time to run albeit inside her home. When I first heard about this I laughed my head off and thought this woman was crazy.
But that day I knew that was exactly what I would have to do. I would run down the hallway, in and out of two bedrooms, and around the island in the kitchen. This was one lap and I ended up doing 20 or 30 of those. It was crazy and I laughed at myself, but it felt so good to get moving. Aaron thought I was crazy too and even worried about me wearing out the carpet but he wouldn't have to worry long because this exercise routine only lasted a couple of weeks. The newness wore off and my desire ran low again.
Today was a different day. To make it more interesting I decided to clean instead of just exercise. Instead of just running up and down the stairs I took stuff with me and put it away. I scrubbed floors and washed walls and reduced the clutter in the house. There was plenty of bending, lifting, and twisting going on. When Brooke woke up from her ultra short nap I didn't get frustrated because I figured holding her while cleaning meant I was lifting weights too.
My mind was satisfied because I tricked it into thinking I wasn't really cleaning which would be so boring, but I was exercising. My heart rate increased and my microwave got cleaned. It's a win-win for sure. So, next time you think you don't have time for exercise, think again. It might give you a good laugh too and who doesn't need that?
1 comment:
love it Nik! Reading this post inspired my to vacuum out our kitchen drawers/cupboards(i think you told me you did that awhile back too:) Such a great feeling to get rid of those hidden crumbs AND get some exercise at the same time! It was SO great seeing you and your family at church! THANK YOU for coming! And thanks for the overalls for Henry, he loves them, they fit perfectly too!
Post a Comment