I read the book pictured above recently. It's about how we as mothers are so hard on ourselves and we need to give ourselves a break. One thing the author said in this book that I liked is, and I'm paraphrasing, is that motherhood isn't perfect, but there are perfect moments if we allow ourselves to see them.
That is so true. I can think of so many perfect moments. I'll share a couple of them.
Recently we took the kids on a Sunday walk through the neighborhood. The sun was low in the sky and as we turned the corner and headed up the hill our shadows could be seen on the road in front of us. Each of our shadows were spread out across the road in a line and as I looked them over I couldn't believe how many of us there were. Joy overcame me and I smiled and thought how wonderful it was to have a family. What a perfect moment.
Another perfect moment happened just a few days ago when the hot weather at last arrived. One morning Christian came running in the house from outside and told me I had to come out and see the "huge bean" he found. I knew he must have been talking about the peas he and I planted three months ago. We had been waiting for a long time for them to grow.
This was one of those times when I knew I had to drop everything and participate in his exciting discovery. We ran out to the garden together and sure enough there were several pea pods hanging off the plants. He showed me the big "bean" and I told him he could pick it. I watched as he struggled to yank it off the plant and I realized he'd never picked peas before. So he got an impromptu lesson in which peas were ready to pick, how to pull one off the plant, and how to open a pod and remove the peas inside. This was so fun for me because I was teaching him how to enjoy something that I had enjoyed as a kid. It was such a fun, carefree, perfect moment.- something he and I need more of.
He was out there again today
Looks like he picked a good one. Thatta boy.




1 comment:
Sounds like a really great book.
Post a Comment