I just read the best story on KSL. You've got to read it. It's about withholding judgement, kindness, and long suffering among many other things. Here is the link - ksl.com - Serious MomSense: The perfect parking spot
After you read it, then read my story-
This doesn't compare to her story, but it reminded me of something that happened to me once.
When I was in college I was terrible at parking. Looking back I wonder why I didn't just park far away and ride the shuttle bus. Instead I either parked illegally and got ticketed or parked several blocks away and walked. It was a joke. There was one parking lot that I really wanted to park in and it was at the institute. It was close and they gave out the passes for free if you were willing to get up really early and get in line. I had done this before and succeeded, but this semester was different.
I don't remember exactly what happened, but I missed out on the Institute pass. So, at the beginning of the semester I found me a parking spot right in front of a house at the top of the hill. This spot must have been as good as I could get because it really wasn't that close. I probably parked in front of this house everyday for a week when one day I returned to find a note on my car. It was an angry note from the homeowner stating that he couldn't park in front of his own house because I was parked there. I was fuming inside and I thought, "I don't see a sign. I have every right to park here." I wanted to knock on the door and give him a piece of my mind. I even thought of leaving an angry note on his car. These thoughts and others filled my mind but soon something inside of me said "let go." So I did. I decided I would just let it go and find another place to park from then on. The coolest thing happened the very next day. I found out that I had won an institute parking pass in a drawing. You can call this a coincidence, but I've always thought that I won it because I was willing to let go and not make a big deal out of it. I have things like this happen to me over and over again and it always reminds me that if you do what's right, good things happen to you.
2 comments:
What an awesome story Nik. Thanks for sharing!
thanks for sharing-what a great message! it's 4am and i'm up with the little one and wondering if you are too...hopefully you are sleeping soundly!
Post a Comment