Sunday, February 16, 2014

Screamin'

We took the kids to Disneyland a couple of weeks ago. I should say Aaron took us to Disneyland. Since I am a drowsy driver who can't drive more than a half hour before getting sleepy, he does all the driving. So, he drove 12 hours there and another 12 hours back. He's quite a guy.
There were lots of good times and some hard times too and I could explain it all in detail, but since I've already done that in my journal I'll just share a couple experiences with you. I'll give a high, a low, and another moment I'll call the low-high-low.





First a high. Going to Laguna Beach after three days in Disneyland. From pulling up and seeing the beautiful view of palm trees against the blue sky and ocean to watching Brooke run all over the beach to hearing the powerful waves crash to watching the kids squeal in delight as the water was inching ever closer to feeling the warm air and sunshine. It was awesome.

Constantly running.




Then a low which happened a day earlier when I was waiting around in the car for Brooke to wake up from her nap. That was actually really nice for a half hour. We had just gotten back from an excursion to LA to see the space shuttle and Aaron left with the kids who were anxious to get back to Disneyland. Since Brooke wasn't getting many naps and was so turned upside down with our exhausting schedule we decided we should let her finish her nap. So I enjoyed a quiet half hour to myself while I was waiting.

So cool!!!

Combined video of all space flight takeoffs and landings.

The trouble started when she woke up. I couldn't believe my ears when I heard a literal gushing sound coming from her car seat. She has been potty trained for 6 weeks, but we're still dealing with frequent accidents and other difficult moments. I knew there would be accidents on the trip, but this just seemed so hard.  It was difficult getting her out of the car and keeping her close so she didn't get run over in the parking lot while I got her car seat out. When I did get it out it was dripping. How could I bring it into the hotel like that? Well, it eventually stopped dripping and I took the car seat, diaper bag, and Brooke up the elevator to our room. After sloshing the cover in the tub and getting all ready we headed down to catch the shuttle. As we headed out of our room I realized that the stroller was locked in the car and Aaron had the keys. Sometimes we hide a key under the car so I hoped for that, but it wasn't to be. While I was figuring out what to do I missed the shuttle that wouldn't be back for another half hour.  For the rest of the night Aaron and I took turns carrying Brooke around Disneyland. It was an exhausting day.
Let's just say Disneyland was 6 days of complete exhaustion. Am I getting old or what? What's my problem?

Wind blowing through Brooke's hair on a ride


And finally the low-high-low.  A few times at Disneyland, especially when times got tough I thought of my parents and what they must have gone through taking us to Lagoon all those years and to Disneyland too. My mom never rode the roller coasters and only a couple times did my dad. But those times with my dad were important. Having a parent do something with you makes it so much cooler.  (Note to self!) I remember thoughts like "Whoa, I can't believe dad's riding the roller coaster!" and "Whoa, I can't believe dad came to the ward swimming party. He's got a serious farmer tan, but look he's here and now it's so much better!"
 I could sense from the kids after a while that they wanted me with them. Aaron was the one going on all the scary rides while I was always the one on Dumbo with Brooke. I was totally fine with that. I don't know what happened to me, but I can't get on a swing at the park and sway more than a foot without feeling completely dizzy.
Well, I decided it was time to be the cool parent especially for Emma my thrill-seeking teenage daughter. I agreed to go on Screamin' over California though it was the very last ride I felt I could survive. And that state of mind is what caused me trouble in line. I literally felt like passing out as I imagined myself on that ride. I even started praying and singing my primary song(in my head) that I sing when I'm afraid. Other times I've sung this song include when in the dentist chair and when experiencing severe birthing pains in childbirth. Yeah, it was right up there with the most fearful times in my life. I was feeling light headed and I had to do all I could to keep my mind on something else so I could make it through. After we got inside and I made sure my seatbelt was tight enough we took off at 60+miles an hour up the first hill. To my surprise the faster and higher we flew the happier I got. I couldn't contain myself and I screamed out and I think I even put my hands up. This went on for a couple of turns and it was so much fun! Then just as fast as the thrill came it went again and I had to hang on for several more turns before the beast of a ride finally stopped.   I survived the ride, thankfully, and it was actually fun for 20 seconds so that's the high.  But, I was done the rest of the day. I drew a line at going on the Tower of Terror. My head was still spinning.

Scene in Cars land
Finally asleep

So many cool scenes in Disneyland



Good memories, hard memories. Next vacation we're going on a lovely hike in Moab or something less exhausting. Although going on vacation with four kids can't ever be a piece of cake!

Despite the exhausting trip I'm so grateful we had the means to go. The kids had a lot of fun and we made lots of memories.

1 comment:

Valerie said...

I had no idea you were afraid of roller coasters! =) You'll remember that ride forever.

Funny story - do you remember borrowing our little red stroller to go to Disney Land a few years ago? We went to Disney Land last fall and took the little red stroller. None of my kids had ever been before, but the stroller had - and they all thought that was funny. We thought of you that whole trip!