Saturday, February 15, 2014

Galloping Horses

Do you ever get kind of looney in the middle of the night or when you're just trying to get to sleep? It's finally quiet and your mind starts to wander and you start to worry.  You think you're hearing things that you're not. There's been so many times that I've woke Aaron up to ask him about a sound or even a smell in the house. He usually thinks I'm crazy and turns over and tells me to go to sleep. Other times he actually goes and checks it out for me. Well, this happened to me recently

I had stayed up late one night writing a talk for Sacrament meeting and I was really tired and exhausted when I finally got in bed.  As I lie there trying to get to sleep I heard a sound that baffled me. I couldn't for the life of me figure out what it was. It was really loud though and the more I listened the more worried I got. Was it a low rumbling thunder? Was it galloping horses? Was it someone walking through the snow right outside my window? Or was it big flames consuming the kids' room upstairs? I couldn't smell smoke, but I was sure I could hear a raging fire. This thought terrified me, but in my exhaustion I couldn't will myself out of my warm bed to check it out.  For sure the kids were dead by now. I woke Aaron and he didn't know what I was talking about.  I was so tired and weary that I decided to say a prayer to ask for help. I had to get some sleep and I wouldn't be able to unless I could figure this out. After the prayer I was able to focus better and my mind became clearer. I realized the sound wasn't continuous but would stop every once in a while before starting up again.  Then it hit me. Emma's hamster runs on her wheel all night and it is located in her room directly above our bed. That was it.  Oh, I was so relieved. I could handle the noise as long as I knew the kids weren't burning up with the house.  I was able to get to sleep soon after.

This story is so funny for me, but it also taught me again that God cares about even our smallest most insignificant problems and will help us when we ask.


p.s. Don't you think it's funny that a hamster running on a wheel can sound like galloping horses? It does when it's right above your head. From now on Emma moves the cage at night so we can get some sleep. Somehow the girls sleep right through it.


Buenas noches

1 comment:

Carly said...

I remember hearing a crazy noise late one night here at Mom and Dad's. It freaked me out because it was so sudden and loud. I went running around trying to figure out what it was. Turns out the air compressor had been left on in the garage and it randomly made a noise, a very loud one. Phew :) Glad there was no fire in your house (or galloping horses for that matter).