Sunday, December 11, 2011

Joy in the Season



I think I finally found the secret to feeling joy at Christmas time.  These past few weeks have been really happy for me and I owe it all to following some good advice I heard.  The advice came from President Deiter F. Uchtdorf, a member of the first presidency in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints which church I am a member of. The advice came from talks given by him in the Christmas devotionals from last year and this year.   Last year his talk was about how we can feel like the grinch at Christmas because of all the overwhelming events, obligations, decorating, and so forth.  Here is a quote from that talk:

"Perhaps the Grinch’s story is so memorable because, if we are honest, we may be able to relate to him. Who among us has not felt concern over the commercialization and even greed of the Christmas season? Who hasn’t felt overwhelmed by the packed calendars, the stress of finding gifts, the pressure of planning meals and events? In fact, psychologists tell us that during this season of cheer and goodwill, many feel sorrow and depression."


These feelings that he describes have been my feelings every year at Christmas. Each year I struggle to find joy in the season.  Sometimes when Christmas rolls around I almost get a pit in my stomach thinking of what's ahead-crazy decorating, eating, family obligations, meaningless gift giving, hours and hours of Christmas music, etc.  Ok, so I don't hate all of these things, but in large quantities they overwhelm me and take the fun out of Christmas.  Every year I give myself a talk telling myself how I'm going to relax and just enjoy it- even the crazy stressful parts.  But, I'm never completely satisfied with the results of my efforts and it seems like the joyous moments are overshadowed by the stressful, anxious ones.  But this year, this year I think I have it figured out. No, I really have. 
 In Elder Uchtdorf's devotional talk this year he taught me that Christmas does not have to be perfect. We expect the decorations to be perfect, the parties, the presents, etc. etc. and when they're not, there is such a let down, especially when we have invested so much time and effort into them.  It seems like a Christmas gift to someone is the ultimate display of your love for them and if you can't figure out what that gift should be then you feel stress.  Enough of that! This year I'm changing things. This is what I'm doing about it-


#1- If I can't make a homemade gift for someone then it's ok. I'm not going to clutter my mind with the details of making it, not going to spend hours late at night doing it, and I'm not going to yell at the kids because I'm so tired from making it  (ok, ok, so I have made a few homemade gifts this year, but I promise I followed the rules)


#2  I'm not going to expect every party, every gift, and every Christmas tradition to be perfect. I like this one!


#3 I'm not going to wear myself out going to every concert/lights/parade/play/etc or wish I was doing all of that.  


#4 I'm going to focus on the true meaning of Christmas which is to show and feel the love of Christ.  This feeling has come strongly as we've served each other in our little family, as we've read scriptures, attended church, done service to others, prayed for others, and heard beautiful Christmas music.


This is what I'm working on and I'm not perfect at it, but I'm taking a step in the right direction. 


Be sure to follow the links to the talks from President Uchtdorf because he says it so much better than I ever could. You might also be inspired!


P.s. I'll leave you with this picture of a note written by Lindsey taped to our door at Christmas time a couple years ago. So cute.



2 comments:

Karlie said...

I loved reading this! I also really loved #2. I think I struggle with the perfection part of Christmas traditions. Not so much in that they ever really are perfect, but that when they fall short (as they often do) I feel guilty for it. Thanks for this inspiring post. Hope your family is all doing well.
-Karlie

Jenny said...

Thank you for this! I feel like the only mother who is miserable at Christmas time. I have already scaled WAY down. I believe wholeheartedly in simplicity. This year we wrapped everything so fast! My baby was fussy and I was sooo tired so we just put the presents in those reusable stacking boxes and used post-it notes for name tags. Fancy huh?